Traditional Chicken Soup
Comfort food at it's best, is there anything more deliciously nourishing than good old chicken soup?! Here's our 'traditional' recipe using a whole chicken, because that's how we roll here at Undivided Food Co. Be sure to get a pot on to boost your immunity before flu season kicks in...
Serves... enough to feed the family, with left overs!!
1 whole organic chicken
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter (or both)
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
4 fresh bay leaves
a small bunch of fresh thyme
2L GOOD BONES™ Organic Chicken Bone Broth
Silverbeet or fresh seasonal greens, roughly chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
01. Sauté onion, carrots and celery in coconut oil/butter. When onion is getting soft add the cauliflower. Give it all a mix around and add the thyme (strip the leaves) and bay leaves.
02. Now clear the middle of your pot for the chicken. Place breast side down to lightly brown and then flip and lightly brown the other side. Now pour in your chicken bone broth, ideally enough to just cover the chicken (if you want to top up with water that's fine too).
03. Bring to a simmer, pop on the lid, turn the heat to very low and leave to cook for 1½–2 hours. I tend to give it 1½ hours, or 1 hour 40 minutes, then leave it to stand with the heat off, but the lid still on, for the remaining 20–30 minutes.
04. Once cooked, use tongs to carefully transfer the chicken to a roasting pan. Leave to cool, uncovered, for a few minutes. Put the pot back on your stove top to bring back to a medium heat.
05. When your chicken has cooled enough to handle, either use two forks or use your hands to shred the meat off the bone. Pile it on to a plate and get rid of the skin and bones (though I like to add some of the skin back in).
06. Pick the leaves from your parsley and roughly chop them. Add all your shredded chicken meat to the soup, along with the chopped herbs and silverbeet, and warm through for a few minutes. Have a taste, and season with salt and pepper. ENJOY!
Note: If you have leftovers, this is the perfect meal to freeze so it's ready for you when you need it the most!!