Greek Avgolemono (Egg & Lemon) Soup with Meatballs
This light and lemony meatball soup will have you feeling like you are sitting at a little Taverna on a magical Greek Island. A treat for the tastebuds and imagination.
- 1 kg minced meat (beef, lamb or a combination of both)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups of GOOD BONES Beef Bone Broth
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
01. Add to a mixing bowl the minced meat, parsley, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper, cinnamon, onion and combine well
02. Roll the mixture into small meatballs
03. Add the extra virgin olive oil to a non stick casserole dish and when hot add the meatballs and brown all over. Set the meatballs to the side and give the dish a quick clean
04. Put the dish back on the stove on medium heat and add the Bone Broth, remaining salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
05. Reduce the heat to a light simmer and add the meatballs back in, one at a time and cook for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the meatballs from the dish and set to the side.
06. Separate the egg whites from the yolk in the 3 remaining eggs and beat the egg whites until it forms soft peaks
07. Beat the yolks into the egg whites and then add the fresh lemon juice
08. Take approx 1/3 of a cup of the broth from the pot and beat into the egg and lemon mixture and then gradually stir the whole mixture into the casserole dish. Keep mixing so the egg doesn't curdle
09. Immediately remove from the pan from the heat and serve with a couple of meatballs and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.